Welcome Spectator

Friday, 26-April-24, 5:09 AM     Logged in as Spectator | Group "Guests" RSS

Main| 8/9/13 - Need an alternative? Try an Enduro - Forums| My profile | Sign Up| Log out | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forums » Game Chat » NASCAR Racing 4 » 8/9/13 - Need an alternative? Try an Enduro
8/9/13 - Need an alternative? Try an Enduro
Davoin_Shower-HandelDate: Monday, 29-July-13, 8:05 PM | Message # 1
Shop Hand
Group: Drivers
Thunder Road International Speedbowl is known across the country for hosting marquee short track stock car racing events like the Vermont Governor’s Cup 150, the Labor Day Classic 200, and the Milk Bowl. Once a year, though, the sleek, high-performance American-Canadian Tour Late Models get put on the shelf and the rusty old relics found in just about any back yard in Vermont put on a show known as the Enduro. Nearly 100 cars that were at one time (mostly) street-legal converge on the tiny, high-banked quarter-mile, lined up bumper-to-bumper and three abreast, stretching from the entrance of the first turn down the frontstretch, and around the fourth and third turns. The caution flag gets put away for the night, and the race is only stopped if someone is upside down, on fire, or bleeding from a main artery. It’s fairly common knowledge around central Vermont that being associated with the Enduro is the most fun anyone can have with their clothes on. Often referred to as “The People’s Race,” Thunder Road’s Enduro runs rain or shine.

At this point you're probably thinking ".....okay, that's nice. so what?" Welp, the few of you who were around when the Sierra servers were still up might remember what you'd expect to find whenever I was hosting a race at Bristol. Oh yeah. Carnage. Years ago I messed with the AI at Bristol in an attempt to recreate enduro racing in N4, and it turned out fun'r than hell.

The last few years, in order to get prepared for the real enduro, I've been running them on N4 to get into the mentality of quick decision making and wreck dodging (If real racecar drivers use simracing to practice, why can't I?). This year I thought maybe I'd try something different, and host one online again. The more real people there are in these to go up against the AI, the more fun they are.

So, here's the deal:

Friday, August 9th, 2013
9:00 PM Est
No Yellows
Full Damage
Three-wide standing start
Crashes everywhere
First driver to survive his way to 200 laps, wins.

You won't need to download anything new to race this (unless you, for some reason, deleted the Bristol Night that installs with the game). All the changes I've made to the track were made in the .INI and will be applied to your game when you join the server. The race will start at 9 but I'll most likely put the server up at 7:30 and let it run through the full 90 minutes of practice. This will be hosted on my own server, I'll post the IP for it in this thread a few days before the actual race.

Even though running enduros on N4 isn't as fun as running them in real life, it's still pretty goddang fun. So hey, why not join us and give it a shot?

http://i.imgur.com/FmU0IEF.png (pretend this picture was embedded in the post, because if you guys hadn't for some reason disabled use of tags, it would've been...)

PhobiusmaximusDate: Monday, 29-July-13, 8:09 PM | Message # 2
Shop Hand
THIS^^^^!!!!11111 these are real enduros, not the stuff we ran as a series. We used to run these a ton back in the day and they were suuuppperrr awesummm..!

mmunky911Date: Monday, 29-July-13, 8:31 PM | Message # 3
Shop Hand
Would love to run this, only suggestion is I would run a slightly earlier start time because like this (and EVERY other race on NORL) Starts at 9 which is too late for me to race. Work sucks. But, regardless I'll be there for as much of it as I can.

T018Date: Tuesday, 30-July-13, 11:00 AM | Message # 4
Cup Driver
Group: Administrators
These are the 'new' ideas we need and given we always have the N4 server not sure why we never do this stuff anymore.

RubberheadDate: Tuesday, 30-July-13, 2:52 PM | Message # 5
Shop Hand
will this affect my LPI

JBattistaDate: Tuesday, 30-July-13, 3:43 PM | Message # 6
Nationwide Driver
Quote (T18)
These are the 'new' ideas we need and given we always have the N4 server not sure why we never do this stuff anymore.
But when I suggest we do simulation mode races 3 wide starts they're always frowned upon. This whole crashing thing that he's suggesting would be how it is in sim mode.....

But yes I do like this idea. It's about time somebody does this 200 laps of Bristol. Everyone here is too weenie to run a short track

2012 F.A.S.T. N4 Drag Racing Champion
2012 F.A.S.T. N4 End of the World Special @ Snowstorm Speedway Winner
2013 N.O.R.L. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Champion
2012-2013 Most Popular Driver
"I hope he has malaria." - Tony Pizzaro

Message edited by JBattista - Tuesday, 30-July-13, 3:44 PM

T018Date: Tuesday, 30-July-13, 4:24 PM | Message # 7
Cup Driver
JB, even you admit 1/2 of your ideas are jokes....

and 3 wide sim starts creates a blakc flag issue, and is also a bad idea as far as for every race.

Davoin_Shower-HandelDate: Tuesday, 30-July-13, 5:03 PM | Message # 8
Shop Hand
Quote (T18)
3 wide sim starts creates a blakc flag issue, and is also a bad idea as far as for every race.

trying 3 wide in arcade will let the black flags fly, too, but that's where arcade's relaxed rules and an Enduro's standing start work in our favor; the green flag will fly once the polesitter has rolled about 3 feet from where he was parked when the engines fired. everyone stay put and DO NOT MOVE until the green flag comes out... but once the green lights come on? go nuts.

mmunky911Date: Tuesday, 30-July-13, 8:15 PM | Message # 9
Shop Hand
Quote (Rubberhead)
will this affect my LPI
RubberheadRubberhead

for some reason i cant log in online serria am i doin sumpthin wrong??

JBattistaDate: Tuesday, 30-July-13, 11:17 PM | Message # 10
Nationwide Driver
Honestly I think nobody is going to show up, and if any show up, nobody will be there for the finish. Just the way things have been here for the past few months.

TonyPizzarolosthispwDate: Wednesday, 31-July-13, 1:34 AM | Message # 11
Nationwide Driver
Quote (JBattista)
Honestly I think nobody is going to show up, and if any show up, nobody will be there for the finish. Just the way things have been here for the past few months.

The N4 racing has been awesome lately, you just happen to like racing at tracks people give up at lol.

Davoin_Shower-HandelDate: Wednesday, 31-July-13, 7:35 AM | Message # 12
Shop Hand
Quote (JBattista)
Honestly I think nobody is going to show up

thanks for the vote of confidence, Captain Buzzkill

we've got, at the very least, 3 of us who are going to run this; if we're the only 3 who show up, so be it. it's everyone else's loss, not ours. the whole point behind this is to have some honest fun playing a video game. no points, no stats, no pressure, nothing. just fun. if folks decide they more enjoy racing at one of the dozen follow-the-leader cookie-cutter draft tracks that litter N4, well more power to 'em i guess.

Quote (JBattista)
if any show up, nobody will be there for the finish.

that's what makes it an Enduro. you CANNOT go balls-out from the drop of the green, or you will almost certainly wreck out. the prevailing strategy in Enduro racing is to cautiously tiptoe your way through the opening stages to protect your car and survive; when you get to maybe about 25% to go, and you're still running, and the field has been shrunk.... THEN you light the fuse and go for broke.

In real life, about 100 cars take the green flag; Only about 20-25 of them see the checkered flag.

mmunky911Date: Wednesday, 31-July-13, 8:19 AM | Message # 13
Shop Hand
Dude, we used to run these all the time and it was a blast, not un common at all to have atleast 2-3 human players running at the end, given usually only 3-4 would run from the start.

I ran a practice enduro offline, 200 laps in about an hour and ten minutes. Finished 2nd only because my motor started smoking with 62 laps to go, had a 4+ lead on everyone. Pitted once because my wheel got jammed up and that was it.

So...earlier start time? 8? Please? Since no one else is going to run it? lol

JBattistaDate: Wednesday, 31-July-13, 12:02 PM | Message # 14
Nationwide Driver
Dayum, we've got a tough crowd....

Added (13-July-31, 1:02 PM)
---------------------------------------------

Quote (Davoin_Shower-Handel)
the dozen follow-the-leader cookie-cutter draft tracks that litter N4

THANK YOU

Tex85Date: Wednesday, 31-July-13, 2:34 PM | Message # 15
Spotter
Group: Series Directors
Id say just do it as a fun series  no point just whoever wins   I"d do it on a sunday myself  could just be a fun thing to relieve the stress from the week and to get ready for another week of good racing

just turn the yellows off  damage full and boys have at it

Message edited by Tex85 - Wednesday, 31-July-13, 2:34 PM

Forums » Game Chat » NASCAR Racing 4 » 8/9/13 - Need an alternative? Try an Enduro
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

NORL Copyright 2024 uCOZ©